You know how in comic book films like X-Men there’s a couple of bad mutants who help out the central bad guy? Like, ok, Mystique and Sabre Tooth are bad-ass in their own right but they’re not in the same league as Magneto. They aren’t levitating the Golden Gate Bridge and plonking it atop Alcatraz Island. They’re Magneto’s accessories. They’re a pair of Magneto’s earrings. (Ed – Are you going anywhere with this?)
In Madonna’s latest release ‘Give me All Your Luvin’‘, Madonna has made Nicki Minaj and M.I.A her earrings.
And boy does M.I.A hate that. She doesn’t hate it enough to turn down her pay cheque, you understand; but she’s not a happy camper. She looks like a woman whose own irrelevance to the music industry has just cock slapped her in the face. She even does a little gun shooting bit in her ‘solo’ like on that song she did three years ago. Aww. Bless
Let’s face it; the song sucks. It’s not particularly exciting. It doesn’t make your brain say some thing like this:
Brain – “WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK IS HAPPENINGN TO MEEEEZ! I’M MELTINGSZ THIS IS SUUUR FURCKING GUUUUUUD!!!!!!!”
It does make your brain say something like this:
Brain – “Oh. Are we out of milk?”
Despite that, the song is catchy. But as I have said many times before, pubic lice are catchy. (Ed – Eww)
And the average audio aside I think the video is good. It holds it’s own.
Some Good Things about the Video
1. It’s short. No fifteen minute, pointless excercise in pseudo performance art inanity here. Just a video to go with a song.
2. It’s sponsored by Adidas and Smirnoff Vodka. Two companies I am happy to give my monies to.
3. It has a ‘just-retro-enough’ vibe. The fake streets, the studio rain, the footballers, the gun attack, the slow motion falling, the whole Marilyn Monroe clone section. It’s a bit like what Lana Del Rey’s going for. Only more fun.
4. It has crotch thrusting. Obv.
5. It has a bit where she throws a doll like it’s a football. Oh Madonna, what are you like!
I’m going to sit up and wait for her half-time performance at the Super Bowl. Fingers crossed that it’s sheer brilliance will make up for the sleep I’ll miss out on.